Cambridgeshire SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information , Advice and Support Service)
For help in schools with mediation and knowing what your rights are and what schools should be doing to support your child.
Part of the Cambridgeshire County Council website that is dedicated to additional needs and disabilities. There is information about schools, social care and health services that will be relevant to
Did you know that if you are doing above and beyond what a parent would do for a ‘Normal’ child so you are classed as a carer. You can ignore the title but use it to get the support you need.
You can find information about young carers siblings groups.
Cambridgeshire Parent/Carer SEN Support Group page – a closed group that you can post on for advice on every aspect of parenting.
National Autistic Society’s Parent to Parent Service – 0808 800 4106, at any time, day or night
Parent to Parent is a UK-wide confidential emotional support service, provided over the phone by trained volunteers, who are all parents of autistic children and adults. The volunteers are based across the whole of the UK, which means that there is increased anonymity for parents who may not want to share information with someone in their local area.
The volunteers all have personal experience of autism and the impact it has on their own families. They are there to give parents and carers the opportunity to talk through any issues, feelings or problems they’re experiencing. They can suggest helpful strategies, signpost them to other sources of information and support, or just provide a non-judgmental listening ear.
Parents and carers can call Parent to Parent on 0808 800 4106, at any time, day or night, and leave a message on our 24-hour answerphone. Please be aware that they will not speak to someone immediately as this is not a manned line. If they leave a message, a volunteer will call them back as soon as possible at a time which suits them. Alternatively they can send the service an online enquiry www.autism.org.uk/parent-to-parent-enquiries.
10 good organisations to know …
- Samaritans – Helpline 08457 909090
- Centre 33 – free confidential counselling for young people up to 25 01223 316 488
- Cogwheel Trust – counselling and psychotherapy support for people in Cambridgeshire 01223 464385
- Caudwell Children – provide family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families across the UK 0345 300 1348
- Mind – supporting those recovering from mental health challenges, promoting positive mental health 01223 311320
- Blue Smile – counselling and support in schools to help children fulfil their true potential and have happier childhoods 01223 314725
- Young Minds – information, advice & support for young people affected by mental health.Helpline 0808 8025544
- Family Lives– national family support charity – Helpline 0808 8002222
- Mental Health Foundation – looking after your mental health
- Rethink Mental Illness – www.rethink.org Cambridge and Peterborough support line, 07783 267013, run by carers for other carers.