Help with travel

Blue Badge Scheme

A Blue Badge is a disabled parking permit. It helps people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination.

To qualify for a Blue Badge, you must have an enduring and substantial disability. You will need to provide evidence of this.

You are eligible for the Blue Badge parking concession scheme if your child either:

  • Receives the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Is aged two or above and has severe walking problems.
  • Is under three and has a condition which means they either need to be accompanied by bulky equipment or kept near a vehicle at all times.

Disabled adults on Personal Independence Payments (PIP) also qualify for a Blue Badge if they score eight points or more under the PIP activity of ‘moving around’.

If your child doesn’t qualify for a blue badge automatically under the above rules, they may still qualify under the so called ‘assessed route’.

Cambridgeshire’s Blue Badge Scheme is run by Cambridgeshire County Council

Help getting a car and driving lessons

The Motability Scheme helps disabled people hire a car or instead a scooter or powered wheelchair, and Scheme customers might qualify for a driving lessons grant.

You can join the Motability Scheme if your child is awarded the highest rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or the enhanced rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Your child’s award must have 12 months left to run.

Find out more by visiting the Mobility Scheme website.

Help with road tax

You can get a 100 per cent rebate on Vehicle Excise Duty if your child is awarded the DLA mobility component at the higher rate or PIP mobility component at the enhanced rate.

A 50 per cent rebate is made where someone qualifies for PIP mobility component at the standard rate.

For more details, call the DLA unit (0345 7123 456) or PIP unit (0800 917 2222) or visit the government’s website.

Help with bus travel

All local authorities operate schemes allowing disabled people of any age to apply for a bus pass or voucher for free bus travel. In some areas an essential, named carer accompanying the disabled person is also entitled to free travel.

You can find details of how to apply in Cambridgeshire here

Disabled Person’s Railcard

Buying this railcard entitles disabled people and a companion up to a third off most train fares. For further information visit the disabled person’s railcard website.

School transport

Cambridgeshire County Council can provide transport or help with the costs for eligible children and young people. You can find out more on their website