Requesting an ADHD Assessment

Making a request

ADHD is a medical diagnosis that can only be made by a suitably qualified medical professional.

In Cambridgeshire this is provided for the NHS by the Community Paediatric Team for primary school-aged children and the child psychiatrist (CAMH) for secondary school age.  Referrals are through professionals working with the child: the school, a paediatrician or GP.

For adult (18 years and older) referrals you can contact Cambridgeshire’s NHS service.

If an assessment has been done by a private clinician, this should be submitted to the community paediatric department for inclusion in the Medical advice.

Whilst you might have an assessment as part of an Education Health and Care Plan Assessment, an ADHD Assessment can be done without one.

Our Handy Guide sets out how to make a request and what the process involves.

Please click on the flowchart below for a full version of the ADHD pathway for primary age children who have interactions with CAMHS via the joint CCS/CAMHS pathway: