SEND Review Commission 2019
In September 2019, the Secretary of State launched a new SEND Review. This Review comes 5 years after the last significant legislations changes.
The review will consider:
- better help for parents to make decisions about what kind of support will be best for their child.
- making sure support in different local areas is consistent, joined up across health, care and education services, and that high-quality health and education support is available across the country.
- how to strike the right balance of state-funded provision across inclusive mainstream and specialist places.
- aligning incentives and accountability for schools, colleges and local authorities to make sure they provide the best possible support for children and young people with SEND.
- what is behind the rise in education, health and care (EHC) plans and the role of specific health conditions in driving demand; and
- ensuring public money is spent in an efficient, effective and sustainable manner, placing a premium on securing high quality outcomes for those children and young people who need additional support the most.
We are expecting the much delayed Review publication, also delayed another two years by Covid 19, to now happen in Spring 2022.