Children’s Centres have been a main source of information and support for children under five years old and their families in Cambridgeshire. However, in July 2017, the county council published plans for a major redesign of the service – currently being consulted on until September 22 2017.
The council would like to see a different approach, with district centres offering services across the whole family age range – from mums-to-be to babies and toddlers, right through to young adults.
However, until the new plans are decided, there are 16 groups of Children’ Centres serving the whole county, offering:
- access to health services such as midwives and health visitors
- family support services – trained staff who can support you if you need help or want some advice
- advice about early years education and childcare
- employment, training and benefits advice
- drop-in play sessions
- parenting courses
- a meeting place for childminders
- dads’ groups