Housing support in Cambridgeshire

In Cambridgeshire, the five district councils provide housing information and support for tenants and homeowners – including young people with additional needs and disabilities wanting to live independently.

The district councils in Cambridgeshire are:

To apply to join the housing register you must be over 16 years of age. Anyone under 18 will require a responsible adult to hold their tenancy in trust if they are made an offer.


All district councils in Cambridgeshire are part of Home-Link,  the choice based lettings scheme for all council and housing association homes in Cambridgeshire. Properties that are available for rent are advertised each week on the website and registered users then “bid” for available properties.

Register with Home Link

You can find Frequently Asked Questions here.

Home-link has an access strategy to make sure people with different needs including disabilities are treated fairly when choosing housing.

Help with the rent

Housing Benefit provides help with paying rent if you are on a low income but is being gradually replaced as part of the roll out of Universal Credit, the new benefit for people of working age, which aims to run UK-wide by September 2018.


Housing adaptations

Disabled children with complex needs may require adaptions to their housing to ensure that it is safe, accessible and meets their needs. There is funding to help meet the cost of housing adaptations for disabled children. The Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG), awarded by district councils, currently provides up to £30,000 towards the cost of building adaptations that are assessed as meeting eligibility criteria. You will need a referral from an occupational therapist (OT) to apply for a DFG.

Housing Options leaflet

Cambridgeshire Community Services has a  “housing options” leaflet to help families provide a  a home that is suitable for their family’s needs.

These may be any combination of:
• Rehabilitation
• Adaptations and/or specialist equipment within your home
• Moving home
• Extending your current home

The Occupational Therapist is the first point of contact so that an assessment can be made. A referral will then be sent on your behalf highlighting your child or young person’s needs.

More about the OT service in Cambridgeshire

Support from Adult Social Care for young people with complex needs  

Young people aged 18 and over with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, may be supported with their housing and daily living through Cambridgeshire County Council’s Adult Social Care team

Young people already working with Adult Social Care should ask their social worker for information about housing and daily living options. Young people who are not receiving support from Adult Social Care can ring 0345 045 5202 to request an assessment.

To find out more about housing and supported living, requesting an assessment from Adult Social Care and funding, visit the county council webpage adults and older people.